On 09/01/14 01:35, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> Brian Burch, this bug was reported a while ago and there hasn't been any
> activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue? If
> so, could you please test for this with the latest development release
> of Ubuntu? ISO images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com
> /daily-live/current/ .

The only machine I could test with normally runs headless, so it took a
while to schedule some maintenance time - sorry for the delay.

I booted the 14.04 iso from DVD (too big for a CD and the machine's BIOS
would not boot from a USB stick). The Dell screen displayed the splash
screen and normal desktop approx 1 inch shifted to the right, exactly as
originally reported. I was disappointed, and was about to give up.
Something made me think to perform the screen auto-adjust function...
the image wiggled around for a moment, and then displayed PERFECTLY!

That machine normally runs ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and has recently been
updated with the latest fixes. I booted the production 12.04 system
where the desktop was misaligned and deliberately set to a low
resolution so the entire image would be visible. I changed the screen
resolution settings to the optimal value and it was aligned perfectly
because the screen had already adjusted and memorised this SVGA
resolution alignment.

I presume the quirk for my display was incorporated in a 12.04
repository update at some time in the past, but I had overlooked the
notice and so continued using the sub-optimal resolution.

Thank you for suggesting that I run this test. You can close the bug for
12.04, 14.04, and any other releases it might apply to.

Regards,

Brian

> If it remains an issue, could you please run the following command in
> the development release from a Terminal
> (Applications->Accessories->Terminal), as it will automatically gather
> and attach updated debug information to this report:
>
> apport-collect -p xserver-xorg-video-nouveau REPLACE-WITH-BUG-NUMBER
>
> Please note, given that the information from the prior release is
> already available, doing this on a release prior to the development one
> would not be helpful.
>
> Thank you for your understanding.
>
> Helpful bug reporting tips:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
>       Assignee: Chris Halse Rogers (raof) => (unassigned)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Invalid EDID for Dell SP2309W in VGA mode