I found that this issue exists with any release that uses Kernel 3.7 or
newer.  I currently use Kubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Dell Latitude D505,
because I am unable to use any newer, supported, release.  Quantal works
fine, but it is verging on EOL.  As an alternative, I can install the
linux-generic-lts-quantal package onto my LTS.  I have even tested the
alpha release of Kubuntu 14.04 and still have issues with the system
halting, when the lid is closed.

In short, Kernels 3.2 (Precise) and 3.5 (Quantal) have no hardware
issues with the laptop lid switch. Kernel 3.7 (Saucy) and above halt the
system when the lid is closed.

   Lubuntu 13.10 lid close freeze