So let me get this right: you're now working with a USB keyboard plugged into
your MacBook Pro?
Is it a Mac keyboard, or some other, more PCish keybord? If the latter, then
"Generic" is most definitely the way to go, I'd say.
When you claim that a Generic 102 keyboard was the "only way", have you tried
configuring a Mac model with a simple (i.e. not mentioning mac) US layout, as I
suggested?

I know little about VirtualBox, but I assume that it the ransfer of key
events from the host OS to the guest OS works on the level of scan
codes, not characters. I don't know whether these scan codes are passed
dirctly as received, or rather generated according to some kind of
virtual keyboard the guest sees. In any case, I assume that keyboard
layout configured in the host should have little to do with this.
Instead, twaking configuration options in the guest OS might help. But I
suggest you ask these questions using the launchpad question facility,
some mailing list, or similar.

--
"Error activating XKB configuration." - Requires manual xorg.conf editing
which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in ubuntu.