Updates from 3/17 Xorg benchmarking:

On 3-17-2014, I updated X to the latest Trusty packages (xserver-xorg-
core=xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.15.0-1ubuntu7_amd64.deb) and retested.

The Critter benchmark may not be of any great importance as it is a 2d
game in Opengl that runs very fast, but the regression is on the order
of a 49% drop in framerate. This is absolutely repeatable (on two
different machines)  by leaving only one opponent on the screens and
intentionally permitting all shields to be destroyed.

The Scorched3d benchmark gave inconsistant results. With the previous X
server, I was getting 50-70fps, with the new version I sometimes got
25-35fps, but sometimes got right back to the 50-70fps range, though the
highest speeds did not appear as often as with the older version of X.
Scorched3d can be a bit difficult to benchmark as which map appears
cannot be controlled.

In February I got nearly unplayable results in Scorched3d (11-25fps),
though some of that was a since-resolved hardware issue and some was the
hyper-Z issue with the first versions of Mesa 10.2 installed at that
time. No change at all in Critter on Radeon, don't know if these results
will translate into regressions on openGL loads I do not have or not.

On my Intel Atom netbook, by comparsion, Critter is barely playable due
to dropped frames. When the new xserver came out, it was worse, I
remember just over 60fps but with worse framedropping than ever. Now
about 110 fps on the netbook with fewer dropped frames.

My conclusion is that some progress might be being made somewhere, but I
don't know what changes in what package are helping if any.

  Severe performance regression with xserver 1.15