Thanks Alberto, yes it worked but it was sloppy on my end.

The vesa driver does not work well here (too much screen tearing) so I
had to approach this by installing Lubuntu Saucy and then handling the
rest in a chroot, but the attached apt logs should show you what I have.

I will not however give this a "verification done" until we see how it
works in the Precise daily's with the Saucy hardware enablement stack:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/precise/daily-live/current/

Because we'll need to be sure that upgrades from the Saucy enablement
stack to the Trusty enablement stack work OK in Precise when the time
comes.

** Attachment added: "history.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/1205643/+attachment/4076652/+files/history.log

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in Ubuntu.

  VIA P4M800 graphics broken in Lubuntu/Xubuntu Saucy & 12.04.4
  candidate