** Description changed:

+ UPDATE: Read submitter's latest post first.
+
  After the upgrade, the computer crashed at the login screen where it
  froze. I could not switch to a VT, login via SSH, or safer reboot via
  the magic keys: RESIUB.

  Anyway - after a hard reboot, I noticed the graphics setup had changed.
  It was obvious because of the way the 22" handles resolutions or signals
  it doesn't like. It's cloning the only resolution it has made available:
  1280x1024.

  At some point after upgrade to 14.04 and before my second attempt to run
  Xorg, the original xorg.conf file was renamed (and not replaced) with
  the date added on the end. I replaced it with the original xorg and
  eventually tired different things to fix it by commenting certain lines.

  The second run of Xorg: The graphic output looked the same with cloned
  1280x1024. I noticed that even though I restored my xorg.conf file, it
  proceeded to unload radeon driver and then load and use FBDEV with LLVM
  pipe. Yay? Nope, I use folding@home so the CPU cores are too busy for
  OpenGL. Having and not having xorg.conf present seems to not have an
  effect on the resutlts. :(

  The output of xrandr is:

  <QUOTE>
  xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
  Screen 0: minimum 1280 x 1024, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
  default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
     1280x1024      77.0*
  </QUOTE>

  I see no obvious reason from the log files why radeon was unloaded and
  not used for this card which is on the supported list still. Any ideas?

  Thanks much.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  Package: xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE