GIMP may not be on the installer, but it's in repo and can use OpenCL.
If Ubuntu compiles Mesa without OpenCL support, that means using OpenCL
requires switching to the Oibaf PPA version or to Xorg-edgers. That, in
turn, forces users other than hackers to use these PPA's, which are
meant for people like myself familiar with system administration.

Unless someone wants to start a "mesa-stable" PPA like the "kdenlive-
stable" (sunab) PPA, I see a lot of headaches coming from this decision.
Not compiling in support is quite different than simply not including a
library that can be brought in from the main repos.

I can only see one valid reason to disable something like OpenCL or
VDPAU: if there is at least one videocard anywhere for which enabling
them will generate a black screen, a refusal to modeset, or at least a
refusal to run 3d graphics.  Is this the case with OpenCL?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  please enable opencl