Wow got similar behavior as described in this bug just yesterday after
an update.

So when I log in and the Unity desktop should become visible the Welcome screen
comes back asking again for a password.
If I try XFCE I do get the desktop but when I try to start any  programs there
is a crash and the Welcome screen comes up asking for the password.

I use Nvidia Quadro card and Ubuntu 13.10.

So the bug might not be fixed. Before the update I didn't not have this
issue.

Kind regards.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Random log off in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS