Public bug reported:

I'm running an LTSP server on Ubuntu 14.04 server, 64bit. I have a
32-bit thin client, which is booting from this server, X starts up with
a custom .xsession file. This setup worked fine until today.

Today I did an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade on the LTSP client
image, one single package was updated in the chroot (/opt/ltsp/i386):

root@ifptr-notdone:~# chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
root@ifptr-notdone:/# apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-intel:
  Installed: 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1.2
  Candidate: 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1.2
  Version table:
 *** 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1.2 0
        500 http://ro.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main i386
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://ro.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main i386 Packages

After this update, the GUI would not start on the thin client, I'm
getting the following error message in Xorg.log on the client (see
attached log file Xorg.7.log-BAD.txt) and the think client remains in
text mode, with "Ubuntu 14.04" in the center of the screen. The machine
is NOT locked up, I can SSH to it, it keeps trying to start X.

Then I downgraded back to the previous package version:

root@ifptr-notdone:/# apt-get install
xserver-xorg-video-intel=2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  xserver-xorg-video-intel
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 downgraded, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 593 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,096 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y

and the thin client started to work again, see attached log Xorg.7.log-
GOOD.txt for Xorg log comparison.

Attached dmesg, lspci output.

The thin client has no harddisk, it is booting over the network (PXE)
from the LTSP server and it gets everything from there.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "xorg FAILED start log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1389388/+attachment/4253141/+files/Xorg.7.log-BAD.txt

  X doesn't start after latest package update