With the current git-master (xfce4-settings
8adbd2e2463f5cc46c7ed94c0acf264155476268) and NO patches the issue does
not occur for me. That is, neither when powering my HDMI-connected
screen off and on again nor when physically disconnecting and
reconnecting it.

However, I cannot even reproduce the original issue anymore. Weird!

My current configuration:
Xubuntu 14.04 x64
Kernel 3.13.0-45-generic
Intel Core i5-4590S
Intel driver 2.99.911-0intel1
Monitor attached with a HDMI-to-HDMI cable

Things that indeed changed:
- new, different mainboard (the old one died some weeks ago due to a power
supply voltage peak)
- new but identical CPU (died due to the same reason)
- upgraded packages from the official Xubuntu 14.04 sources (got no related
PPAs or such, so it's just regular updates)
- new kernel version (probably does not matter)

Btw, my machine is not a laptop, so I'm down to 0 outputs when
physically disconnecting my screen (I kind of remember this being
relevant in the source code).

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Xfce resets TV mode to NULL when power cycled