Possibly #1336086 is a dublicate.

I am confirming this bug for my DELL LATITUDE D620 (old machine) and
Ubuntu Trusty LTS.

The trouble with the touchpad driver - the touchpad being misrecognised
as a PS2 mouse - seems to occure with different DELL models as well as
even with different manufacturers (cf. #1336086).

Since working with a pointing device is essential to productive working
on a computer and since there has been often trouble with this driver
since Ubuntu Precise  (solving the bug seems to have been eventually
dropped for Precise, Quantal etc.) I would like to suggest that a bug
solution should be intensively worked on.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Touchpad only recognized as mouse2 but does not offer scrolling