FYI, for unrelated reasons, I started using the 4.0 from wily and the
4.1 kernel from https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel-
team/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/. I was able to run an X/Unity session under
the 4.1.0-1.1~dogfoodv1 kernel for two days without rebooting without
the cursor disappearing (I am now using 4.1.0.1.1~rc2 since it has a fix
for bug #1473560).

If someone is looking to bisect this, it might be worth starting with
the 4.0 kernel that is in wily now. I was using that (with microphone
patches for bug #1473560) for a while and never saw the cursor go away
(but I'm not sure the longest I ran a session though).

  cursor sometimes disappears on XPS 13 9343 and external monitor