Summarizing:

(1) This is affecting at least 15.04 and 15.10

(2) tty consoles are 'functional' but blacked out (if you log in
blindly, go back to destkop, and try `who`, there is a tty session
running)

(3) removing fglrx drivers is some sort of workaround, but presumably
people that did install fglrx in the first place want fglrx for some
reason ;-)

(4) common workarounds for these sort of issues usually involve changing
grub configs. I've tried a few things, and it seems that others did,
too. At this point I'm not aware of an easy grub tweak that unblanks tty
consoles. Please post if you have something, I'd like to try.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer-updates in Ubuntu.

  When using fglrx module, the virtual consoles are blank and useless