I also struggled with this bug when doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu
14.04 this week.

I downloaded xfce4-settings 4.11.0-1 from this link.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/amd64/xfce4-settings/4.11.0-1ubuntu1

Then "sudo dpkg -i xfce4-settings_4.11.0-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb" to install
it and synaptic to lock this version.

I can now switch off my TV connected with HDMI cable and when I switch
it back on it works.

Mythbuntu is running on a Gigabyte Brix GB-BXBT-2807 with 4gb ram, 120gb
ssd, DVB-T usb tuner. The machine runs both front and backend.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Xfce resets TV mode to NULL when power cycled