I'm sorry, I got a little ahead of myself there.
Parole is the standard video player that Xubuntu comes with.

Now that I tried it a couple of ways, the video player brings the mouse
pointer back, even after unlocking the screen (by simply bringing the
application to the foreground). VLC shows the same behavior as Parole.

  Mouse cursor lost when unlocking with Intel graphics