Switched to "low graphics" mode in Unity (as explained below), but
problem with Ubuntu Dashboard is worse in some respects.

Installed "Compiz Configuration Settings Manager" > Preferences >
Profile: select "unity-lowgfx". The screen seems to respond immediately
to the changed setting, The screen "blinked" ever so briefly as the
graphical effects were reduced or disabled.

For good measure, also in "Compiz Configuration Settings Manager" >
click on "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" icon > under "General" tab scroll down to
"Enable Low Graphics Mode" > check the box.

(When I made the above changes, and tried to use the Dash, a couple of
problems arose immediately: 1. launcher icons in left column were all
temporarily blurred out (or written over) and disabled (unusable); 2.
the mouse pointer turned into a square; 3. the system froze, requiring
soft reboot using FN+ALT+SYSRQ+REISUB.  Upon reboot, launcher icons back
to normal, pointer back to normal, but Dashboard behavior has NOT
improved.)

Dashboard still showing some garbage output, when I put in search terms.
Again, my legacy laptop's display problem is not really solved yet.

I'm considering scrubbing Compiz 3-D windows compositor (purging the
package) and reverting to Metacity 2-D windows compositor (replacing the
one with the other).

  display issues - dashboard unstable