I am still observing the problem on my Ubuntu 16.04.1 x86 desktop, which
has C77 [GeForce 8300] (rev a2) graphics. I assume this is because
304.134 has not yet been backported to 16.04.1 LTS. I hope the bug is
fixed soon, as it's a little disconcerting that the latest stable Ubuntu
release does not work on my non-bleeding-edge desktop. (Nouveau crashes
too often to be useful, and the more up-to-date proprietary driver has
so many artifacts on the screen that it is unusable.) For now, I have
worked around the problem by using the recipe in #20 to go back to
304.131-0ubuntu3.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 in Ubuntu.

  no login possible after update to nvidia 304.132