More info (sort of):

After booting today, I used SSH from another machine (successfully
logging in). Unfortunately, when the laptop froze, so did my ssh
session. The terminal was not "disconnected by host", but it was inert.
The laptop has quieted, but not completely silent. Something is whirring
in there, but nothing I've tried can get any response from it (except
holding down the power key until it powers off).

I can't get anything from Acer; they deliver the machine with Win-10, so
that's what they support.

Should I write to Intel?

As for the "Unknown stepping info" error, because I don't know whether
it's related, I'm going to open a help request at Ask Ubuntu.

which is subscribed to libdrm in Ubuntu.

  System (keyboard & touchpad) freezes