After struggling with this for a long time I found out that there is a
"new" driver for input devices: libinput, that replaces synaptics. I
followed the install instructions as given here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/649103/proper-touchpad-thumb-palm-
detection-with-libinput

In addition I had to uninstall an older libinput package that had been
installed as a dependency to vlc I think.

Now I got thumb support and multi-touch support out of the box, and the
pointer doesn't jump around on the screen any more when I'm typing.
Hopefully others will find this helpful.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Missing support for thumb resting on bottom of clickpad