I think bug 1671771 is fundamentally the wrong solution (to this
problem; it does need to be fixed).

The problem here is that XMir is not behaving like a spec-compliant X11
window manager. Unless we want to require Mir servers to implement X11
window management, this is not something that we can do with extra Mir
support.

One relevant section of one of the relevant X11 protocols is
https://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.7

Specifically - Firefox is using the Locally Active focus model. It has
the focus attribute set to “true” in the WM_HINTS, and has set
WM_TAKE_FOCUS on its window.

This means that it (a) expects to receive focus (and receives focus
in/focus out events) but (b) only ever expects to be given focus to its
top-level window, and will manually manage the focus of its subwindows
itself.

XMir is in a position to do this - it doesn't matter which of the
client's windows Mir thinks has input focus. As long as *any* of the
client's windows have input focus XMir will receive input events and can
set the X11 focus as appropriate.

  Xmir -rootless: Firefox menus pop up then close right away