Hi, the synaptics (libinput also installed) package work well for me in
16.04 (and previous version to 12.04 at least) up to 17.04 on thinkpads
(x2XX to carbon X1). Currently using carbon x1 5th gen. There is however
some form of instability with settings that affects many users including
me.

Sometimes the disable while typing feature stops working and reinstall
of libinput and synaptics drivers help. I.e, reinstall xserver-xorg-
input-synaptics and -libinput as well as running:

gconftool-2 --set --type boolean
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled true
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#Touchpad_not_working_after_login

However, what perplexes me is that the gnome desktop (gnome default) does not
work with synaptics disable while typing when it clearly works in unity at the
same time. I'm testing gnome before 18.04 and login in/out between both
desktops, with the exact same settings (gconf, drivers etc).

Currently I'm writing this in gnome and the cursor skips with random artefacts
that make the keyboard defunct. In unity it works perfectly (two finger scroll,
trackpoint etc works).

Related:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/1687191

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Disable touchpad while typing is not active nor can it be enabled