I am currently running Ubuntu 16.04, python-openssl 0.15.1-2build1,
python-cryptography 1.2.3-1ubuntu0.1 and Kodi 17.3.

The problem was initially introduced by a regular software update (by
Software Updater). I found some instructions that I followed, not those
here, which involved installing or reinstalling python stuff. After this
Kodi started working properly again and the log spamming stopped.
However a subsequent software update a few days ago has undone the fix.
Things are broken again. The versions above are what I currently have.

So I say that python-openssl 0.16.2, if that is genuinely the fix, needs
to be backported to 16.04 LTS.

I am strongly considering a distribution upgrade to fix this. It will be
the second time recently I have been forced into a distribution upgrade
by a regular software update breaking my system. Something is not right
in Ubuntu's quality control.

  xinit flooding syslog