Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see I wasn't imagining things or a
user/hardware issue on my end.
When Ubuntu updated the mesa packages to 17.2.2 I made sure apport had the
extra packages installed it needed. I also manually installed the 4 vulkan
ddbug packages before running the vulkan-smoketest. Apport kicked in and
auto-reported it. Hopefully that generated report helped since it does a far
better job that my first attempt.

After I rebuilt the Ubuntu vulkan-utils package and used quilt to
restore the amd mesa source but was unable to rebuilt mesa for the mesa
vulkan drivers so was unable to test them. I had observed what the patch
was doing and came to the decision that radv was being disabled by
design. Thats why I didn't report upstream I didn't want to waste dev
time for what appeared to be a packaging choice. My apologies for that.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  vulkan-smoketest segfaults steam vulkan games segfault