I previously had bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-
shell/+bug/1724557 which causes the desktop to hard crash when the
monitor is turned on, related to gnome-shell and mutter.

That bug hasn't reported anything to /var/crash lately, but the behavior
has stayed the same for me. If I turn my monitor off while playing
music, when I turn it back on the desktop session has crashed and I have
to start a new session. The music makes pretty clear that it is
specifically related to the monitor turning on.

Now the crash report coinciding with the crash of the desktop session
with the correct timestamp is a duplicate of this one. I am not sure if
the two bugs are connected, but I get it when I turn my monitor on.

  Xwayland crashed with SIGABRT in OsAbort()