Also, you might find 'lspci -k' reports nouveau is being loaded too. In
that case the fallback to software rendering (AKA LLVMpipe, AKA VMware)
is an expected problem for some newer Nvidia chipsets that nouveau can't
handle adequately.

P.S. Note that Gnome does not advertise hybrid graphics as supported
until Gnome 3.27/3.28. We only have 3.26 in Ubuntu, so I'm not sure how
much we should expect to work... https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-
announce-list/2017-October/msg00013.html

  wayland session in Ubuntu 18.04 chooses vmware driver on intel
  hardware