Thanks for the questions

1) Removing the kernel parameter causes the same problem (plus, shutdown
doesn't work.)

2) I cannot take the graphics card out of the laptop, but I uninstalled
the nouveau package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. This may have improved
things; see below!

3) This is on a fresh install of 17.10 on a freshly
partitioned/formatted disk.

4) When I log in to an Xorg session (after removing the nouveau xorg
driver,) the desktop takes a long time to appear. The computer is
largely unresponsive to mouse/keyboard for many seconds, then becomes
responsive for a second, then goes unresponsive again; this repeats a
few times, before the desktop entirely locks up (and a SSH shell also is
locked up at that point.) However, pointing on the touchscreen will move
the cursor in this state; moving the touchpad does not move the cursor,
and nothing can be clicked/interacted with.

Regarding 2) after logging into a default session (Wayland,) with the nouveau
Xorg driver removed, but the nouveau kernel module still loaded (despite
blacklisting,) it has not crashed my desktop yet.
vainfo seems to think that I have accelerated video decoding, and glxgears runs
at 60 fps in full screen, so perhaps this is a workaround?

which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1748511

Title:
  Xorg crash