1)
One month ago I upgraded Virtualbox from 5.2.4 to 5.2.6. While I was upgrading
Vbox Guest Additions in my VMs to 5.2.6, I detected that that 5.2.6 Guest
additions introduced a serious boot/login problem for all my VMs. So as a
work-around I kept all my VMs at Guest Additions 5.2.4. I reported that problem
to Oracle here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17463
In that long discussion between various persons about the problem, other
work-arounds had been proposed too. I detected yesterday that other people used
"beta" 5.2.7 to solve the problem.

2)
We are dealing with 2 separate problems:
- one is the boot/login problem of the Vbox Guest Additions 5.2.6, reported to
Oracle one month ago. That problem occurs in all my VMs and all my distros. My
work-around was stick to Guest Additions 5.2.4.
- the other is the window maximising problem with Vbox Guest Additions 5.2.4
reported to you only occurring in Ubuntu Gnome 17.10 and 18.04. Work-arounds
are stop using 3D acceleration, if you do not need the performance improvement
of that 3D acceleration. If you need the performance improvement of that 3D
acceleration use any other distro, since the problem only occurs in Ubuntu
Gnome.

3)
I detected today that Vbox Guest Additions 5.2.7 was available. So I thought
maybe I get lucky and it also solves the window maximising problem, so I tried
it. It did not solve that problem. All the time my Host remained at Vbox 5.2.6.

4)
I removed virtualbox-guest-x11. I did not realise, that it was the Ubuntu
version of Vbox Guest Additions. I always install Vbox Guest Additions through
its ISO file, since it then also nicely removes the currently installed
version. In general Ubuntu is a full release behind with respect to Virtualbox.
Ubuntu's current Vbox release for Ubuntu 17.10 is 5.1.30, while Ubuntu 18.04
uses Vbox 5.2.6. I tried your advice at Ubuntu 18.04. That installed Vbox Guest
Additions 5.2.6, so it is completely understandable, that the login problem
reported to Oracle a month ago reappeared.

As Ubuntu you have learned I think four things from this confusion:
- Avoid Vbox Guest Additions 5.2.6 in Ubuntu 18.04. Stick to Vbox 5.2.4 or push
Oracle for 5.2.8.
- I would talk to Oracle about the quality of their regression testing in the
light of your new philosophy with respect to more integration of the Vbox Guest
Additions as reported by e.g. OMG Ubuntu.
- Maybe you should only update the host versions in your repository and leave
the update of the Guest to the current Oracle mechanisms. They store the
correct guest ISO file somewhere in the Linux file system of the host and make
it available to the guest through the Host devices menu "Insert Guest Additions
CD image". They warn you about outdated guests through notification, but leave
the upgrade decision to you. I love that mechanism.
- You still have a separate "windows maximising" problem in Ubuntu Gnome.

I will download the 5.1.30 Guest Additions ISO file and try that one in
Ubuntu 17.10.

** Bug watch added: Virtualbox Trac #17463
   http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17463

  Xorg freeze