Christopher, I believe Wayland is a default display server on Ubuntu nowadays
(at least in 17.10).
As it is some hassle for me to set up the test environment and mess around with
all the cables again, I would like to understand, why the logs I have enclosed
are not good enough.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1509997

Title:
  1002:6821 Graphical issues when radeon MST enabled