nukedathlonman, to advise, given there are no debugging logs provided,
developers are unable to work on this issue. Hence, please answer all of
the following questions:

1) Could you please provide the full computer model as noted on the
sticker of the computer itself (not from the Bug Description, or the
result of a terminal command)?

2) To see if this is already resolved in Ubuntu, could you please test
for this via http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ and advise to
the results?

3) If reproducible, could you please provide the missing information
from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingSystemCrash ?

** Description changed:

  I'm having a hard time tracing this down.  I updated to Kubuntu 16.04
  (from Kubuntu 15.10 - that was using the Linux Crimson 15.12 driver) a
  couple days ago on my notebook (HP Pavilion, A10-8700P APU), and ever
  since I've been having random black screens.

  I started debugging the driver, then thought it might be a DPMS issue
  (it's not - I have DPMS fully disabled currently), and now I'm back to
  debugging the driver.

  I don't have any remnants of the former closed Crimson display driver
  and never had an xorg.conf file (I made a small one that I'm using at
  the moment consisting of only a server layout to ensure screen savers,
  DPMS, etc are all off).

  The Black screen can happen any time from the login screen until hours
  later.  I can ssh into the system to shut it down.  And just discovered
  that if I unplug the system from it's power brick, I can close the lid -
  the system will goto sleep.  When I flip the screen back up, the system
  wakes up and the screen works again for 1-2 minutes.

  I don't see any errors in the log files (well, outside some nasty
  looking ACAPI errors in dmesg).

  HOT TO REPRODUCE:
  Boot system and use normally or simply leave system alone.  Blank screen will
happen any time after x comes up.

-
  EXPECTED RESULT:
  Screen doesn't blank unless a screen saver or power saver kicks in.

  SYSTEM INFO:
  Purchased Dec 2015 (build date from BIOS - Aug 2015), HP Pavilion 15"
notebook, AMD A10-8700P "Carrizo", 16GB RAM, 960GB SSD
+
+ WORKAROUND: Install https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-
+ binaries

[...]

+ WORKAROUND: In 16.04 use http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-
+ ppa/mainline/v4.6-rc6-wily/

** Description changed:

- I'm having a hard time tracing this down.  I updated to Kubuntu 16.04
- (from Kubuntu 15.10 - that was using the Linux Crimson 15.12 driver) a
- couple days ago on my notebook (HP Pavilion, A10-8700P APU), and ever
- since I've been having random black screens.
+ Using Kubuntu 16.04, my screen will go black any time from the login
+ screen until hours later. I can ssh into the system to shut it down. If
+ I unplug the system from it's power brick, close the lid causing it to
+ go to sleep, and flip the screen back up, the system wakes up and the
+ screen works again for 1-2 minutes.

- I started debugging the driver, then thought it might be a DPMS issue
- (it's not - I have DPMS fully disabled currently), and now I'm back to
- debugging the driver.
+ Disabling DPMS didn't change anything. I don't have any remnants of the
[...]

+ This didn't happen using Kubuntu 15.10 with Linux Crimson 15.12 driver.

  SYSTEM INFO:
  Purchased Dec 2015 (build date from BIOS - Aug 2015), HP Pavilion 15"
notebook, AMD A10-8700P "Carrizo", 16GB RAM, 960GB SSD

  WORKAROUND: Install https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-
  binaries

  WORKAROUND: In 16.04 use http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-
  ppa/mainline/v4.6-rc6-wily/

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu in Ubuntu.

  [HP Pavilion 15] Intermittent black screens