I attached patch from ArchLinux AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages
/xorg-server-bug865/, https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree
/freedesktop-bug-865.patch?h=xorg-server-bug865 ). This patch is stable
and reliable. ArchLinux users are happy with it.

It fixes current bug on Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS.
I have tested it with <Ctrl+Shift> keyboard layout switcher on GNOME
(DESKTOP_SESSION="ubuntu") and MATE desktop (DESKTOP_SESSION="mate").

Please kindly review it and consider applying it before official final release
of 18.04 LTS.
I'm ready to test proposed packages which (I hope) you would create.
As the result Ubuntu users will be as happy as ArchLinux's users.

** Patch added: "Patch for Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS, it fixes the problem"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1683383/+attachment/5072290/+files/freedesktop-bug-865.patch

which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1683383

Title:
  Keyboard layout change on hotkeys press instead of release and do not
  work well with shortcuts (reopen)