Christopher, thanks for responding so quickly!

It took me a while to download the newest ISO.

I've been able to narrow it down a bit more as well: the log out only
happens if I have my second monitor plugged in. Sometimes (but not
always) the second monitor will flash the "logged out" screen for a
second or two before going dim. If I unplug the second monitor and close
the lid of my computer I log in and it's still the same session.

I have "Suspend even if external monitor is plugged in" toggled in Tweak
Tools.

1) No, my session is not logged out if I suspend via the GUI with the
lid open.

2) There are! Is it safe to upload that file? I can do so.

3) I'm fairly sure it's happened since I initially installed 16.04

4) With the live USB I don't think I can set up a user account that will
get logged out? When I close the lid of my laptop without the external
monitor plugged in there is no log in screen and I just see the desktop
(even when I toggle that the user is not logged in automatically). With
the external monitor plugged in the desktop just switches. I couldn't
find a toggle for the "Suspend even if external monitor is plugged in"
option. I'm happy to actually try upgrading my machine to 18.04 or
17.10, but that would lose you your test scenario if it ends up working?

   session logout after suspend