Installed GNOME shell - no change.

The hardware (Samsung n-130) cannot handle 64-bit.

On Kubuntu 18.04 beta, if tap-to-click is enabled the same behaviour
occurs: the touchpad appears to be intermittently unable to
differentiate between a single finger tap and a two finger tap when
single finger tapping; it does not have the reverse problem, two finger
taps are never mistaken for single finger taps.  Occasionally the
secondary context menu appears when merely moving the pointer.

As I generally don't use tap-to-click for right click (two-finger-tap)
it struck me that if I could turn off two finger tapping or change the
response to a two finger tap from right to left click using the libinput
settings I would be able to effectively avoid the problem.  I know it is
possible to change the response to 1,2,3 clicks from l,r,m to l,m,r but
don't know if it's possible to change it to l,l,l.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-libinput in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1760975

Title:
  Random right click behaviour with synaptics touchpad