I hear Pop!_OS 18.04 doesn't have this issue. I'm unfortunately about to
give up on Ubuntu and give that a try. Some word of reassurance from the
Ubuntu team here would be nice. Where they marked this as fixed, I'm not
hopeful of a fix--at least anytime soon. If anyone has found a true and
simple workaround, please let us know! Otherwise, I think my hardware
will require me to look somewhere else...

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-390 fails to boot graphical display