1) same as 3 above

2) roger@roger-desktop:~$ ls -la /var/crash
total 8
drwxrwsrwt  2 root whoopsie 4096 May 29 03:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root     4096 Dec 17  2016 ..
roger@roger-desktop:~$

3) "To confirm, is there a reason you are using the non-default kernel
parameters (i.e. WORKAROUND a problem):
plymouth:debug drm.debug=0xe nopat vesafb.invalid=1"
- I'm not familiar with that line.  I can guess two possibilities:
- - Something very old in the system, perhaps done to deal with an earlier
difficulty
- - Some connection with Xdiagnose, which I have been experimenting with
previously in connection with this problem (now all settings inactivated as of
today).

4) "If you remove the non-default kernel parameters does this influence the
reported issue:
plymouth:debug drm.debug=0xe nopat vesafb.invalid=1 "
Please tell me before I deal with this if this is possibly something done by
Xdiagnose, and how to best remove it if that seems advisable.

Thanks!

  message - Low Graphics mode - about 2/3 of startups - not all