Soooo... Running from kvm itself it seems that this is reproducible but
seems related to some lower level issue (both using sil's command and
adding -vga qxl):

journalctl: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/rdkvsqs8Rs/ (with vga
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vJsWbvwdDR/)
xorg.log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Dt3tMsHgPc/

In both wayland and xorg tries to get a drm device, but that's not set..

Generally when using `-vga gxl` this issue is happening in a randomic
way, while it's 100% happening when using the default vga (std, or just
not passing it) that is actually using vbe.

So, the weird thing here is that with the same kvm vga configurations,
we get a working session when just booting from the cdrom.

For some reason it looks like that the vbe driver for X isn't even tried
in this case; compare Xorg.log above with the one when booting from
livecd: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/QHJsTY2cms/

Then I think this is indeed not a gdm bug per se.

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu Cosmic)

** Also affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

  gdm doesn't start on a fresh installation of Cosmic Desktop