Affects me with one mouse on Mint 18.3 (also verified on another pc with
Ubuntu 16.04).

See extensive discussion, including how to investigate with xev, detailed code
fix for xserver-xorg-input-evdev, detailed hardware workarounds for mice with
contact bounce:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/321816/mouse-sometimes-doubleclicks-when-i-click-once

I'm amazed the software debouncing still hasn't been incorporated.  And
debounce time etc ideally should be exposed to the user in the control
panel, to allow adjustment?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in Ubuntu.

  add Mouse Click Debounce Feature?