I have two systems with the Nvidia 185 driver installed, and both have
this problem of settings disappearing, when done with the supplied
Nvidia display configuration tool. The problem is nothing new - I
remember having it in a couple of previous Ubuntu versions.

The settings indeed stay when I use the regular display configuration
tool. That isn't free of problems either, though.  The available refresh
rates aren't normal: 64, 63, 62, 61, 60 and 59 Hz. Those aren't real,
however. When I choose the smallest one, I actually get 90 Hz (which is
good for my CRT monitor). The largest, 64 Hz actually gives 65 Hz. Many
users probably will try the largest number (if they aren't already
scared away when they  see the strange numbers) and then give up. But I
think I'll make a separate bug report of this issue.

Hardware involved:
Graphics cards Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT and Nvidia Geforce GTX 275
CRT monitors Hitachi CM823F 21" and another one of 19"

--
nvidia settings ignored on reboot.
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.