I can't even get into the login screen when the DisplayPort device is
attached. But I disconnected that, got to gdm login via the VGA device,
then switched to Ubuntu on Wayland. Ubuntu on Wayland works fine for me
generally, but I get the same behavior when connecting the DisplayPort
device after logging in. I've included a video of the behavior here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aJSx5stMMg7QZULH6

  Thinkpad x220 - Unable to use 2560x1440 external display connected via
  DisplayPort due flashing black screen