Confirming this problem exists with my Toshiba Satellite C650 (Core
i3-2350M 2.3 GHz, onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000), with a fresh Xubuntu
18.10 Installation.

In my case switching to another Virtual Terminal and back to VT-7 (Alt-
Ctrl-F7), returns me to an unblanked XFCE Desktop!

For me another "workaround" is plugging an external monitor into the
Satellite C650's VGA Port, which also unblanks my XFCE Desktop.

Although terminating light-locker and running "dm-tool lock" does
trigger the bug, under those conditions my VGA Port "workaround" does
not work.

I have not observed a "Locked Screen" and therefore blindly typing my
password does not work...

The problem does not exist with an Ubuntu 18.10 Installation on my
Satellite C650.

My own Bug Report https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1803268 is a Duplicate
of those one.

  Fails to deactivate dpms off mode after user initiated wake-up
  events(not system-suspended, just locked and dpms active)