I don't know the software stacks involved:

If I understood it correctly,
mesa 18.3.3 doesn't work with older kernels while 18.0 did work,
and so I'll do a bisection to see which kernel commit fixes the issue,
and then distro kernel maintainers may cherrypick it for older kernels.

If there's no need for mesa to work with older kernels without the
cherrypicked commit, then I guess yes, this issue should be closed, in
which case please close it for me or tell me to close it.

Thanks again!

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Black screen on skylake after 18.0 => 18.2 update