** Description changed:

- I had an HTPC with Mythbuntu 12.04 installed.  Upon upgrading a new
- behavior that if the TV is power cycled it no longer detects a link with
- the HTPC.
+ [Impact]
+
+  * When a TV is power-cycled, it is no longer detected as an available
display.
+
+  * The root issue is in xfce4-settings: xfsettingsd.
+
+  * The related patch correctly handles the NULL mode the TV enters when
powered off.
+
+ [Test Case]
+
+  * Connect a TV to a computer running xfce4-settings 4.12.0, this can be in a
single configuration or dual-monitor.
+
+  * Power the TV off.
+
+  * Power the TV on.
+
+  * Expected: TV powers on and remains connected as an available display.
+
+  * Actual: TV powers on and is not connected or detected.
+
+ [Regression Potential]
+
+  * Regression potential is minimal: The associated patch targets this
+ very specific scenario and behavior, and does not interact with the rest
+ of the codebase.
+
+ [Original Report]
+ I had an HTPC with Mythbuntu 12.04 installed. Upon upgrading a new behavior
that if the TV is power cycled it no longer detects a link with the HTPC.

  When this happens I can find in the xorg log that there is an
  accompanying log item:

  [ 39829.509] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "NULL"

  After debugging with NVIDIA at
  https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/729955/linux/tv-stops-being-
  detected/ we've deteremined it's a X client that reacts to the RANDR
  events causing the mode to be set to NULL.

  Working through the list in an Xfce environment, the culprit is
- xfsettingsd.  If xfsettingsd is running, it causes the TV to come up in
- a NULL mode.  If it's killed, it remains in the mode it was previously
+ xfsettingsd. If xfsettingsd is running, it causes the TV to come up in a
+ NULL mode. If it's killed, it remains in the mode it was previously
  running in.
-

  Until this is fixed, this behavior can be worked around with a simple shell
script:
  ==============================
  #!/bin/sh
  #Fix TV state when HDMI link is lost.
  #By Mario Limonciello <supe...@ubuntu.com>

  OUTPUT="HDMI-0"
  BAD_MODE="1280x720"
  GOOD_MODE="1920x1080"

  for MODE in $BAD_MODE $GOOD_MODE; do
-  DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output $OUTPUT --mode $MODE
-  sleep 2
+  DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output $OUTPUT --mode $MODE
+  sleep 2
  done

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [SRU] Xfce resets TV mode to NULL when power cycled