I'm not sure this is a Linux problem. It may be that the panel is
reporting bad EDID data. I haven't investigated enough to say for sure.
In any case none of the more recent Linux releases fixed the problem in
my tests. Also no other open source OSs were able to deal with the
onboard LCD panel either. (That may have changed since I tested.)

If you were interested, you might be able to patch the firmware on the
onboard panel to provide different EDID information. I looked into doing
this and there are some tutorials out there. However, it's possible you
could do something wrong and end up worse than you were before. If you
learn something new, please post it here. In particular if you find some
open source OS that can configure this display properly at full
resolution without resorting to forcing EDID information please say so
here.

  drm fails to accept edid version 2.4