This bug was fixed in Xubuntu 19.04, if I remember correctly. But on
later releases it became reproducible again.

I'm currently running Xubuntu 20.04, and most of the widgets on the top
panel are affected, with the exception of Whisker menu icon (sometimes),
the task switcher and the Notes widget icon.

  XFCE window buttons are not clickable at the top of the screen