I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on a new hdd and an Nvidia 650TI.  During the
installation I enabled the use of proprietary drivers and autologin, so the new
440 drivers are already installed from the first boot.
Unfortunately the AutoLogin bug is confirmed also on the new Ubuntu LTS and
therefore imho should have a high priority.
If it can be useful, on the new UbuntuDDE 20.04 the problem does not arise

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia] Automatic login fails and then all subsequent logins fail.
  Killing gnome-session-binary fixes it, or just not using automatic
  login.