In case someone is looking into this one: This is still an issue.

Dell Precision 5520
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz × 8
Quadro M1200/PCIe/SSE2 / Quadro M1200/PCIe/SSE2
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
NVIDIA Driver Version: 440.100

I have so far seen that happening on two of my machines, when using gimp
or libre office. Had to throw out libreoffice and install open office to
make them somehow usable.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia] Xorg crashed with SIGSEGV in xf86ScreenMoveCursor() from
  xf86MoveCursor() from miPointerMoveNoEvent() from
  miPointerSetPosition() from positionSprite()