I have tested two applications so far...

1) firefox + MATE terminal
2) xpra + MATE terminal

I'm sorry I can't not use MATE terminal because I still have to use part of the
laptop for work.
In either case I did not notice too significant a memory growth. Again, the
memory usage numbers mentioned below are the "RSS" reported by "ps".

In the case of Firefox: memory usage is approximately ~130MB (I belive
this was right after Firefox was started and fully running) to over ~150
MB after 7-8 days of use. But I tried this: I closed Firefox, the memory
usage dropped to below 90 MB. So at least I know that Firefox X memory
seems to be released.

In the case of running xpra: before xpra is running (right after X
server restart), X server memory usage is about 80 MB, and it goes up to
~120-130 MB after 3 days. It dropped back to 96MB. I don't fully know
why this yet. Maybe there is some leak, but I also want to note that
xfwm4 is uses significant amount of X memory. In this case and previous
case, I also note that the xrestop reports increasing memory usage of
"xfwm4" over time. Initially when the Xserver  just restarted, xfwm4
uses ~30 MB of X memory. It goes up and down, seemingly dependent on how
many windows are opened. So, no conclusion yet on that end. Note: I am
running gnucash (or gnucash and firefox) on the XPRA server. I tend to
think that the stuff I run under XPRA will to a good degree not affect
the xserver being diagnosed except by the number of windows it displays.

I have currently been running libreoffice on the existing session
(xpra+MateTerm) just to find out how things are. I have personally
suspected libreoffice and/or vlc. So far, libreoffice seems to exhibit
this apparent behavior: when I am actively using it, the X server RSS
goes up. But when I leave that libreoffice window alone, the RSS does
not increase. I'll have to re-test this by itself and report back.

  Xorg server uses unacceptably large amounts of memory (and keep
  growing)