I think I've found the reason, but not the solution.

I've put a
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "eDP-1"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
EndSection

into /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which did not help.

but then I noticed that this notebook comes with a flippable screen made
for Win10 to be used as a tablet. When rotating the Screen, Xorg keeps
turning the screen, but always wrong.

So Xorg is technically able to handle the changing screen orientiation
when turning the notebook upside down, but it always chooses wrong
rotation settings. Translation of screen oriention into xrandr settings
is wrong.

  X11 screen rotated