To all above, my Ubuntu 20.04lts software update is attempting to load
but hangs and this repeats every time I reboot machine.

I was just reading through the technical descriptions trying to figure
out what could be causing the hanging up...and selected a random link to
open browser to attempt to highlight my plight...

Also not sure if this is related to the Display (Extended) screen issues
I'm again having on 20.04lts. Got it (Extended) displays going a while
back but then after a reinstall for other software issues from Microchip
MPLAB X IDE again am having difficulty trying to get extended display to
word again...

Know it's a shot in the dark mentioning this here with the hanging
Software update... but worth a try.

** Attachment added: "Hanging Software Update and repeat attempt on every
reboot."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/1902244/+attachment/5445381/+files/Screenshot%20from%202020-12-21%2005-53-58.png

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Backport packages for 20.04.2 HWE stack