I seem to have this same problem on Ubuntu 20.10. (It was present in
20.04 as well). Recently I wanted to use this keyboard on Windows 10 and
it was failing as well (!!). I found this article on it for Windows:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-
winpc/microsoft-sculpt-ergonomic-mouse-does-not-click-on/a89bc2de-4ee0
-497a-b8fa-289338b9bbb1

Seems that this only happens with older version of the keyboard. I
bought mine in 2016. The described workaround on windows (ctrl-alt-del
and then cancel) has worked.

Similar using Ubuntu if the problem occurs I can use Ctrl-Alt-F3 to
change to a console and then Alt-F2 back to my session and it's working
again. The mouse will then work for a while but the problem does reoccur
intermittantly.

I have not tested this with a later version of the hardware though but
am wondering if the orignal reporter is using an older hardware version
as well.

  Microsoft sculpt ergonomic mouse doesn't work on Ubuntu 18.04.3