Hi, black screen may be caused by multiple issues.
Is message "RmInitAdapter failed" message gone after restarting with nvidia and
kernel updates from last days? I noticed 2 updates. I had to remote login over
ssh to analyze logging before fix.
(last update installs new kernel, updates initrd and nvidia modules/libraries)

currently on 6.2.0-24-generic from ubuntu distro.
snipped of installed nvidia to get exact version:
linux-objects-nvidia-390-6.2.0-24-generic        6.2.0-24.24+5

Regarding your question regarding "mainline-kernel", which is a bash script
which makes it easier to install non-standard kernels, which i used to install
5.19.17 to have my system workable with nvidia chipset. (and ld.so.conf.d
nvidia hack). Posted link to ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh in previous post.
My messages is about: i have uninstalled those, and booted into latest ubuntu
23.04 provided kernel. you don't need to worry about it.

But installing mainline-kernel 5.19.17 and ld.so.conf.d hack might get
you going without the pressure of wanting/trying to downgrade whole
distribution installation, just select desired kernel during boot time.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! , failed to copy vbios to system memory